Monday, April 4, 2011

Sustenance in the Garden

Some Sunday mornings I go to church in my garden.  This is generally after a busy weekend when I didn’t get any “down-time”.  I will wake up with an unrelenting craving to get my hands dirty and enjoy a peaceful afternoon in the rich, life-sustaining soil in my backyard.  And so I caved to my craving yesterday morning.
I don’t want this to sound cheesy or trite but I am often amazed at how easy it is for me to “find God” in my garden when it is often so difficult to do so throughout my week or even on a Sunday morning in my own church.  Even just ten minutes on a sun-shiny, breezy day caring for my little green plants with an occasional visit from a cat or two in between bug catching, will speak to my soul and revive me for an extended amount of time.



The only thing missing from my Garden Church is a communal presence.  Sure I have the community of the leaves swaying in the trees, the bees and butterflies visiting my flowers and other bits of life teeming in the garden, but I do miss the communal presence of family and friends.  I need this bit of isolation from time to time, though.  I also enjoy listening to some of my favorite pastors and preachers such as Greg and Julie via podcast so I can be challenge and rejuvenated.
So tell me, where is your favorite place to meet God?

1 comment:

Kessa said...

Just testing a new way of leaving comments. By the way, if you clicked here to read this comment, I would LOVE for you to leave your own. Yes, people, I'm begging. I want to know who my readers are! :)
Thanks!