Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Refreshing Season

Fall has reached it's way to central Texas. I LOVE it! For many years I have pondered over what my favorite season is. When the air is cold and I'm all bundled up for the chill outside and get to enjoy a warm fire on the inside, I love winter. As the air warms and life begins teaming outside, I love Spring. When I get to live in shorts and enjoy days at a lake or nearby coast, Summer is my time. The fact is, I love that the seasons change and that I don't have to settle for just one as my favorite. Only a little over a year ago did one season begin to stick out in my heart and mind over the others.It was just over a year ago that I began my first garden. In central Texas, though we struggle to breath through the continuous 100 degree weather days of summer, we in turn have the benefit of an extra long growing season. As the outdoor world approaches hibernation, our gardens are taking off in a beautiful array of Autumn colors. My Purple Hull peas are the freshest green before the reddish-purple takes over.

My Bell Pepper plants simultaneously show off their green, red and orange fruit.

The Bright Lights Swiss Chard takes the stage over the deep red Beet leaves and all of my herbs have new life since they don't have to drink as fast as they did thirty days ago.

It is for this reason I settle a 20+ year-long debate within myself. Fall is my favorite season of the year. The colors invigorate me with excitement and the crisp quality of the air breathes new life into me.

Welcome, Autumn Days. I open my windows for you. Please come in and make yourself at home.

No comments: